Ever since I saw the LifeStraw® in an outdoor magazine a few years ago, I've been very interested in trying out this personal water filter in the outdoors. We are a hiking, backpacking family so having access to safe drinking water is always a concern of ours, especially for our toddlers health. Calculating how much water to bring for a family of four is sometimes a difficult task because we have to determine who will be carrying all the water weight.
Whether we are day hiking, camping, backpacking or traveling internationally, the LifeStraw® will be something that will always come along on our family adventures. Later on in the post you can enter in Rafflecopter for a chance to win your own LifeStraw® (enter below).
LifeStraw® product details:
- Filters at least 1,000 liters of water (264 gallons).
- Weighs only 54 grams (2 oz.)
- Removes up to 99.99999 percent of waterborne bacteria.
- Removes up to 99.9 percent of waterborne protozoan cysts.
- Reduces turbidity by filtering particles of approx. 0.2 microns.
- BPA Free and contains no chemicals.
- Uses no bateries or moving parts.
- It removes virtually all bacteria and protozoa parasites that can contaminate water and it reduces muddiness by filtering out particulate matter.
- Swiss-based company Vestergaard originally introduced LifeStraw® as an emergency response tool and it has been used by millions of victims of floods and earthquakes. LifeStraw® has also been used to fill the need for safe water in non-emergency situations in developing countries.
|Alpine water freshness!|
- Easy To Use ~ If my two year old daughter can do it, anyone can. If you can drink from a straw you can use the LifeStraw®.
- Motivation to Hydrate ~ Sometimes my children are so excited to be outdoors that they forget to drink water. The LifeStraw® motivated my children to drink because it was fun to drink from the lake using the LifeStraw®.
- Lightweight & Easy to Carry ~ When backpacking every ounce counts, so having a lightweight personal water filter is always a plus. It also has lanyard-type necklace that can worn around the neck or attached to a pack.
- Humanitarian Aid ~ When you purchase a LifeStraw® product, a portion of the funds goes to provide water purifiers for African schools.
- Refreshing Water ~ Sometimes after hiking all day, all I want is cold water yet the water I bring is lukewarm. Not refreshing at all! With the LifeStraw® I can drink straight from the COLD alpine lake and satisfy my thirst!
- Affordable Pricing ~ The LifeStraw® retails for $19.95, which can filter 1,000 liters or 264 gallons of water, overall that is a very low cost for that 1,000 liters of water!
My only "minus" about the LifeStraw® is that if you are not near water, then you are out of luck. I normally day hike in the San Francisco East Bay hills where there is hardly any natural water sources so I have to bring in my own water most of the year. Yet, we are always heading out to locations like the California Sierras or the Peninsula where there are lakes, creeks and rivers so it is still very useful.
Chasqui Mom Last Thoughts...
LifeStraw® has graciously provided a LifeStraw® personal water filter to giveaway! This giveaway is open to U.S. residents only, no PO Boxes. Contest starts June 30, 2014 12:00 a.m. PST until July 6, 2014 11:59 p.m. PST. Winner will be announced a couple days after the giveaway has finished. Please use the Rafflecopter below to submit your entries and good luck! [THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW OVER]
a Rafflecopter giveaway
The LifeStraw® product and information have been provided by Vestergaard. As always these are my true and honest opinions.
Join in on the conversation by leaving a comment here! You can also join in on the conversations on Chasqui Mom's Facebook, Instagram and Twitter that is updated daily with outdoor activities and other wonderful posts and links from #OutdoorFamilies!